JMX is rapidly becoming a common, standardized way to provide basic monitoring of Java/J2EE applications and application servers. By instrumenting applications with components known as JMX MBeans, IT Departments can expose application information such as availability, downtime, upgrades, performance, sizing, security, integration, and other key metrics to enable the monitoring and control of applications. In addition, many middleware products such as application servers and business process management tools are being offered with performance metrics automatically exposed via JMX.
With all this great data being exposed, the challenge is how to bring meaning to it all so as to best manage and monitor these applications. How can IT organizations turn the basic metrics exposed through JMX into well-founded and actionable business decisions?
The Solution: The RTView® Platform
The RTView® platform is a flexible, real-time information delivery solution that enables users to quickly design and deploy custom dashboards, alerts, and reports. It connects directly with data from virtually any enterprise data source including JMX, with access to MBean attributes and operations. With the RTView platform, users can build a powerful, custom, real-time application monitoring system that enables them to respond to emerging conditions.
With the RTView platform , users are also able to persist real-time JMX data to any relational database using the Historian, allowing them to compare real-time information with historical information in the same dashboard.
For partners, RTView offers ISVs an easily integrated, branded, and embeddable monitoring and management console that can easily be customized by their end-user customers.
- Use out-of-box monitoring templates or create custom, business-centric monitoring dashboards
- Perform functions and analytics to provide meaningful information in real-time
- Make information actionable by creating and managing alerts and prompting or automating a response to alert conditions
- Archive MBean information to any relational database for baseline analysis
- Generate PDF, Excel or HTML reports
How It Works
RTView has an optional JMX data source adapter which provides access to JMX MBean attributes and operations. Users are able to:
- Browse available MBean attributes and assign their values as input to a variety of graphical objects in a web-based dashboard
- Archive MBean data for later analysis
- Aggregate MBean attributes and other data sources to do things like provide subtotals over dimensions or time series
- Synthesize new metrics from collections of individual metrics (e.g. alerts, averages, totals, etc.)
- Define thresholds and actions based on MBean attributes or aggregated data
- Create dashboards for managing specific applications with the ability to execute an MBean operation.
- Specify automatic query rates for MBean attributes rather than require user interactive refresh